Mr. Reed has extensive experience in complex commercial and real estate litigation, including landlord/tenant matters, Fair Housing Act (“FHA”) and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (“NJLAD”) issues, rent control matters, as well as negotiating and securing short term and long tax abatements for clients in New Jersey. He has appeared in numerous cases venued in the state courts of New Jersey and New York, along with the United States District Court, District of New Jersey and in the Eastern and Southern District Courts of New York.
Mr. Reed also handles matters in the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law regarding challenges to violations of the New Jersey Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law cited by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs ("DCA") and has successfully represented and advised numerous property owners, developers and management companies regarding negotiation of these penalties and abatement of violations. His administrative experience also extends to defending property owners in actions brought by the New Jersey Department on Civil Rights for alleged violations of the Fair Housing Act ("FHA") and New Jersey Law Against Discrimination ("NJLAD").
Get to know Attorney Reed at his Super Lawyers Profile.
Mr. Reed’s deep involvement in the real estate industry also includes being President of the New Jersey Property Owner’s Association, counsel to the Newark Apartment Owners Association (NAOA) and a Board Member for the New Jersey Apartment Association’s Political Action Committee.
Additionally, Mr. Reed served as an instructor with the Rutgers University School of Continuing Legal Education for the past ten years, lecturing on trial testimony and administrative procedure. He has also lectured extensively on various aspects of owning and managing multi-family real estate in New Jersey, including commercial and residential leasing, the New Jersey Fair Housing Act, New Jersey Security Deposit Act, Abandoned Property Statute and various nuances of the New Jersey Anti-Eviction Act and Summary Dispossess Act.
He is a seasoned and sought after speaker who regularly gives seminars to various organizations representing the multi-family industry, including the Metropolitan Real Estate Investors Association (MREIA) (http://www.mreia.com/) , New Jersey Property Owner's Association (POA) (http://www.poanj.org/), New Jersey Affordable Housing Management Association (JAHMA) (http://www.jahma.org/), Tri-State Mixer (http://www.tristatemixer.com/), New York County Lawyer's Association (NYCLA) (http://www.nycla.org/), and the New Jersey Apartment Association (NJAA) (http://www.njaa.com/).
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Matrimonial Law
- Real Estate Litigation/Property Tax Appeals
- Commercial Collections
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- New York, 2005
- New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2010
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court New Jersey, 2003
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- Gettysburg College
- Bachelor of Arts - 2000
- Major: History and Political Science
- Testifying at Trial and Administrative Procedure, Rutgers University School of Continuing Legal Education, 2008 - Present
- Testifying at Trial and Administrative Procedure, Middlesex County Community College, 2007 - 2008
- Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, February 22, 2011
- Beyond the Basics In the New Economy - Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, April 28, 2009
- Negotiating Commercial Leases, Sterling Education Services, November 15, 2008
- Commercial Leasing in New Jersey, Sterling Education Services, April 21, 2008
- Advanced Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, March 27, 2007
- Breakthrough Collection Strategies, National Business Institute, August 11, 2005
- New York County Lawyer's Assocation ("NYCLA")
- New Jersey Apartment Association ("NJAA")
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013
- Nomination for Recognition at the New Jersey Apartment Association's 21st Annual Garden State Awards
- Associate Member of the Year Award at the 21st Annual Garden State Awards
- President of the New Jersey Property Owner's Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- New York Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- Essex County Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- Interviewed by the Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal. Click here to read the interview.
- Quoted in the Newark Star-Ledger. Click here to read the article.
- Appeared on the Willis Report on 12.5.2014
- Appeared on the Willis Report on 4.3.15 (see video below)