Understanding Child Support in Newark, NJ

Child support orders require parents to provide financial support for the children they have brought into the world. When a parent lives outside the home, that parent — known as the non-custodial parent - pays child support to the custodial parent. Both parents are expected by the law to contribute financially to their child's well-being and upbringing.

We have helped families seeking help for a variety of legal matters. Although we have assisted many with setting up and modifying child support, we understand that each situation is unique, and make sure to treat each case with the individual attention it requires for a successful outcome. Contact our Newark child support attorneys today to learn more about what we can do to help, and to schedule a free consultation.

An experienced, well-established family law attorney can be a tremendous asset to parents navigating the child support process. Contact Newark divorce attorney Jeffrey W. Plaza concerning child support enforcement, modification, or any other family law issue.

Legal Support for Divorced, Separated, or Unmarried Parents

Contact our Newark child support lawyers at Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin, Plaza & Reed, Attorneys at Law to schedule a consultation regarding child support. You may be approaching divorce, divorced already and need to pursue child support modification, or an unmarried parent who needs legal counsel to obtain child support from the other parent.

Child Support Guidelines Are Just That: Guidelines

The state child support guidelines are pretty straightforward. Child support is calculated based on parents' respective incomes and the amount of time that a child spends with each parent (custody and parenting time). But other factors may be involved, such as when a child has special needs because of a medical condition or a learning disability requiring tutoring or therapy.

Modifying Child Support Due to Income Changes

You may have had a significant change in income because you were laid off or have become disabled, affecting your ability to pay child support or your need for increased support from the other parent. Or maybe your ex-spouse has received a significant promotion or raise. Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin, Plaza & Reed, Attorneys at Law has been successful in representing parents in modification of child support orders.

Child Custody Legal Advocacy in Newark

How a child custody attorney can support your family:

  • Providing clarity and answers to your child support questions.
  • Offering emotional support throughout the legal process.
  • Ensuring child support is set up and modified correctly.
  • Accurately estimating child support obligations.
  • Advocating for you in court and during negotiations.
  • Handling all necessary child support paperwork.


Use the form below to reach our experienced and dedicated team.

*Submission of this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.