Mr. Petriello has specialized in commercial civil litigation for over 25 years. He is a member of the Bar of the State of New Jersey and of the State of New York, as well as being admitted in the United States District Court for the State of New Jersey, and Southern and Eastern Districts of the State of New York. He has handled matters at both the trial and appellate levels in these courts.
Mr. Petriello has represented clients for numerous disputes, including collection of amounts due, breach of contracts, commercial landlord/tenant disputes, business torts, Consumer Fraud claims, secured transactions, business torts, the wrongful processing of checks and customer accounts, and breach of franchise agreements, fraud, and other claims arising from business activities.
Get to know Attorney Petriello through his Attorney Video and Super Lawyers Profile John J. Petriello here.
Mr. Petriello is a R.1:40 qualified mediator included on the roster of court-approved mediators.
The varied cases in which Mr. Petriello has appeared are represented in the judicial opinions that have been selected for publication. These are listed below.
Mr. Petriello emphasizes construction law in his practice. Mr. Petriello has represented suppliers and subcontractors in numerous claims against contractors, owners, public entities, and surety companies on numerous claims arising from construction disputes. He is an associated counsel with National Lien and Bond Claim Systems, a national network of claimant's construction lawyers. He has lectured on mechanic's liens, construction liens, and bond claims. He has represented claimants on Federal projects for Miller Act claims. He has defended prevailing wage claims for public projects in New York and New Jersey. He has appeared for claimants and respondents in construction arbitrations conducted by the American Arbitration Association. He has represented claimants on residential and commercial projects made under the New Jersey Construction Lien Law, the New Jersey Municipal Lien Law, and the New York Mechanic's Lien Law.
Mr. Petriello is a graduate of Rutgers College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey. He earned his Juris Doctor degree at Rutgers School of Law, Camden, New Jersey.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Law
- Construction Law
- Creditors Rights
- Employment Law
- New Jersey, 1978
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1999
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Camden, Camden, New Jersey
- Rutgers College Rutgers State University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Siano v. Haber, 201 F.3d 432 (2nd Cirl 1999)
- Accura Zeisel Machinery Corp. v. Timco, Inc., 305 N. J. Super. 559, 702 A.2d 1340 (N.J. Super A.D. 1997)
- Gora v. D.I.D. Acquisition Co., Inc., 226 A.D. 2d 425, 641 N.Y.S. 2d 59 (N.Y.A. D. 2 Dept. 1996)
- Insulation Corp. of America v. Berkowitz, 274 N.J. Super. 337, 644 A.2d 128 (N.J. Super A.D. 1994)
- Ballantyne House Associates v. City of Newark, 269 N. J. Super. 322, 635 A.2d 551 (N.J. Super A.D. 1993)
- Poly-Flex, Inc. v. Cape May County Mun. Utilities Authority, 832 F. Supp. 889 (D.N.J. 1993)
- Matter of Estate of Donner, 263 N.J. Super. 539, 623 A.2d 307 (N.J. Super. A.D.)
- Rebish v. Great Gorge, 224 N.J. Super. 619, 541 A.2d 237 (N.J. A.D. 1988)
- Progress Capitol, Inc. v. Ampower Semiconductor Corp., 112 A.D. 2d 925, 492 N.Y.S. 2d 443 (Dept. 1985)
- Robsac Industries, Inc. v.Chartpak, 204 N.J. Super. 149, 497 A.2d 1267 (N.J. Super. A.D. 1985)
Honors and Awards
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Joseph Salerno, Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Clerk, 1977 - 1978