For over 35 years Alan Ehrlich has counseled clients in tax planning strategies in the areas of individual and corporate partnership, estate taxation, estate planning, probate matters, sales and purchases of business, family law, shareholder and partnership agreements, and tax controversies.
Mr. Ehrlich's Estate Planning experience includes Basic Wills, Credit Shelter / Bypass Trust Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Living Wills. In addition to the essentials, Mr. Ehrlich specializes in more sophisticated planning techniques such as Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Qualified Personal Residence Trusts, Charitable Trusts, Private Foundations, Family Limited Partnerships, and Retirement Planning Strategies. Mr. Ehrlich represents estates, handles the estate administration process and prepares estate tax returns.
Mr. Ehrlich has extensive experience in the handling of Tax Controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, the New Jersey Division of Taxation, and the New York Tax Department. His services in this area include representation at the audit level, filing administrative appeals, litigating tax matters in Tax Court, resolving collection matters with the IRS, requesting abatements of penalties and interest, and processing offers in compromise.
Along with the Tax and Estate Planning matters outlined above, Mr. Ehrlich has wide ranging experience in Corporate Law. He has counseled clients on commercial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, tax free exchanges, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and sales of businesses. Mr. Ehrlich provides solutions and strategies for transferring the family business, the creation of family partnerships and family liability companies, structuring shareholders, partnership and limited liability company agreements, negotiating lease and sale agreements for commercial property, and financing of the purchase of property or a business venture.
Mr. Ehrlich also represents executors, trustees and beneficiaries in Surrogate's Court proceedings and related litigation, including Will contests and accountings.
In addition, Mr. Ehrlich has represented individuals in a broad range of Family Law matters including divorce, separation and premarital agreements, and has counseled in the tax consequences relating to such family law matters. Mr. Ehrlich's expertise in financial matters allows him to provide expert guidance in the areas of asset division in divorces, alimony, child support and business valuation matters.
He is admitted to practice before Federal and State Courts in New Jersey and New York and admitted to practice in the United States Tax Court. A member of the New Jersey, New York and District of Columbia Bars, he is also a Certified Public Accountant. As a member of various associations, Mr. Ehrlich has served as Chairman of the Essex County Bar Association, Taxation Committee. He has lectured for the Essex County Bar on tax topics and has authored articles on various tax and estate planning subjects.
Mr. Ehrlich is a graduate of Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey. He earned his Juris Doctor degree at New York Law School.
- Corporate Law
- Taxation Law
- Wills and Trusts
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Family Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Public Accountant, New Jersey, 1974
- New Jersey, 1975
- New York, 1976
- District of Columbia, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1976
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. Tax Court, 1983
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, Hackensack, New Jersey
- B.S. (Cum Laude) - 1971
- Major: Accounting
- The Economic Recovery Act of 1981, The Essex County Bar Association Chronicle, Vol. VII, NO. 3, November, 1981
- Lecturer, Tax Law Update Seminars, The Essex County Bar Association, 1984 - 1986
Honors and Awards
- Businessman of the Year, Newark, New Jersey, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar, Member, 1975 - Present
- New York Bar, Member, 1976 - Present
- District of Columbia Bar, Member, 1977 - Present
- Essex County Bar Association, Member, 1977 - Present
- Essex County Bar Association, Former Vice-Chair, Taxation Committee, 1984 - 1985
- Essex County Bar Association, Former Chair, Taxation Committee, 1985 - 1986
- New Jersey Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member, 1974 - Present