Newark Wrongful Death Lawyer
Compassionate Legal Representation For Wrongful Death Cases in New Jersey
At Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin, Plaza & Reed, Attorneys at Law, we understand the pain and grief that follows the untimely loss of a loved one due to someone else's negligence. Our experienced team of Newark wrongful death attorneys is dedicated to providing compassionate and comprehensive legal representation to families seeking justice for their loved one's wrongful death. We recognize that no amount of legal action can fully compensate for the loss you've experienced, but we are committed to helping you navigate the legal process during this difficult time.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a tragic situation where an individual's life is cut short due to the negligent, reckless, or intentional actions of another person, company, or entity. These situations can arise from various circumstances, including but not limited to car accidents, medical malpractice, workplace accidents, defective products, and more. Wrongful death cases aim to hold responsible parties accountable for their actions and seek compensation for the financial and emotional damages suffered by the surviving family members.
In such cases, the surviving family members may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses: If the deceased received medical treatment before passing away, the family may be eligible to recover medical expenses incurred due to the incident.
- Funeral and burial costs: Wrongful death claims can also cover the costs of funeral arrangements and burial services, alleviating some of the financial burden on the family.
- Lost financial support: If the deceased was a primary breadwinner, the family may be entitled to compensation for the financial support they would have received had the tragedy not occurred.
- Loss of companionship and emotional distress: The emotional toll of losing a loved one cannot be underestimated. Compensation may be sought for the emotional pain, suffering, and loss of companionship experienced by the family.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
In New Jersey, the law specifies who has the right to file a wrongful death claim. Typically, the following parties are eligible to file a claim:
- Surviving spouse or domestic partner: The spouse or domestic partner of the deceased has the primary right to file a wrongful death claim.
- Children: If the deceased had surviving children, they also have the right to bring forth a claim.
- Parents: If no surviving spouse or children exists, the deceased's parents may be eligible to file a claim.
- Other dependents: Individuals who demonstrate they were financially dependent on the deceased may also have the right to file a wrongful death claim.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death in New Jersey?
In most cases, the statute of limitations for wrongful death in New Jersey is two years from the date of the individual's passing. However, exceptions and variations may apply depending on the circumstances of the case. It's crucial to consult with an experienced Newark wrongful death attorney as soon as possible to ensure that your claim is filed within the appropriate timeframe.
Contact Our Newark Wrongful Death Attorney Today
Losing a loved one due to another party's negligence is an incredibly painful experience. At Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin, Plaza & Reed, Attorneys at Law, we are committed to providing compassionate and knowledgeable legal representation to Newark families seeking justice for wrongful death cases. Our experienced attorneys understand the complexities of New Jersey's wrongful death laws and will work tirelessly to help you navigate the legal process, secure the compensation you deserve, and hold responsible parties accountable.
While we know that no amount of compensation can truly ease the pain of losing a loved one, we are here to support you every step of the way. Your rights and the memory of your loved one deserve protection, and we are here to ensure that justice is served.
Call Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin, Plaza & Reed, Attorneys at Law, today to schedule a meeting with our wrongful death lawyer in Newark!