Derek D. Reed
||Newark, New Jersey
||973-643-0040 (Ext. 110)
973-854-6710 (Direct Dial)
973-624-8850 (Tenancy Department)
Mr. Reed has extensive experience in complex commercial, real estate, administrative, landlord/tenant, property tax appeals and family/matrimonial law matters. He has handled numerous cases venued in the state courts of New Jersey and New York, along with the United States District Court, District of New Jersey and in the Eastern and Southern District Courts of New York. Mr. Reed handles matters in the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law regarding challenges to violations of the New Jersey Hotel and Multiple Dwelling Law cited by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs ("DCA") and has successfully represented and advised numerous property owners, developers and management companies regarding negotiation of these penalties and abatement of violations. His administrative experience also extends to defending property owners in actions brought by the New Jersey Department on Civil Rights for alleged violations of the Fair Housing Act ("FHA") and New Jersey Law Against Discrimination ("NJLAD").
Mr. Reed's successful litigation experience has also served his clients well in countless matrimonial and family law matters in New Jersey. His experience in this area of the law includes, without limitation, trials, motions, emergent applications, early settlement panels ("ESP"), economic mediation, post-judgment applications, child custody, international child custody and Hague Convention applications, parenting time issues, relocation applications, requests for downward modification of support and enforcement of standing court orders. Mr. Reed also has experience handling complex matrimonial actions involving various experts for business and asset valuations.
Additionally, Mr. Reed is an instructor with the Rutgers University School of Continuing Legal Education, lecturing on trial testimony and administrative procedure. He has also lectured extensively on various aspects of owning and managing multi-family real estate in New Jersey, including commercial and residential leasing, the New Jersey Fair Housing Act, New Jersey Security Deposit Act, Abandoned Property Statute and various nuances of the New Jersey Anti-Eviction Act and Summary Dispossess Act. He is a seasoned speaker who is regularly asked to give seminars to the multi-family industry. Mr. Reed has lectured to numerous groups, including the Metropolitan Real Estate Investors Association (MREIA) (http://www.mreia.com/) , New Jersey Property Owner's Association (POA) (http://www.poanj.org/), New Jersey Affordable Housing Management Association (JAHMA) (http://www.jahma.org/), Tri-State Mixer (http://www.tristatemixer.com/), New York County Lawyer's Association (NYCLA) (http://www.nycla.org/), and the New Jersey Apartment Association (NJAA) (http://www.njaa.com/).
Mr. Reed is also counsel to the Newark Apartment Owners Association (NAOA).
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Matrimonial Law
- Real Estate Litigation/Property Tax Appeals
- Commercial Collections
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- New York, 2005
- New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2010
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court New Jersey, 2003
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- Gettysburg College
- Bachelor of Arts - 2000
- Major: History and Political Science
- Testifying at Trial and Administrative Procedure, Rutgers University School of Continuing Legal Education, 2008 - Present
- Testifying at Trial and Administrative Procedure, Middlesex County Community College, 2007 - 2008
- Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, February 22, 2011
- Beyond the Basics In the New Economy - Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, April 28, 2009
- Negotiating Commercial Leases, Sterling Education Services, November 15, 2008
- Commercial Leasing in New Jersey, Sterling Education Services, April 21, 2008
- Advanced Landlord/Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, March 27, 2007
- Breakthrough Collection Strategies, National Business Institute, August 11, 2005
- New York County Lawyer's Assocation ("NYCLA")
- New Jersey Apartment Association ("NJAA")
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013
- Nomination for Recognition at the New Jersey Apartment Association's 21st Annual Garden State Awards
- Associate Member of the Year Award at the 21st Annual Garden State Awards
- President of the New Jersey Property Owner's Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- New York Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- Essex County Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- Interviewed by the Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal. Click here to read the interview.
- Quoted in the Newark Star-Ledger. Click here to read the article.
- Appeared on the Willis Report on 12.5.2014
- Appeared on the Willis Report on 4.3.15 (see video below)