Anne P. Ward Esq.
||Newark, New Jersey
Ms. Ward is an experienced litigator who handles a wide range of civil disputes. She has specialized in representing community associations in her practice since 2006. In that capacity, she has guided numerous clients through all phases of development, management, and litigation concerning the myriad matters which confront associations. Ms. Ward's extensive legal experience has served her clients well and resulted in effective and cost-effective case management.
Ms. Ward also specializes in the area of guardianship. She has represented clients in contested and uncontested matters. She is proud to have been appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey to represent individuals on numerous occasions.
In addition, Ms. Ward has represented diverse domestic and foreign corporations, municipalities, estates, non-profit groups, property owners, and individuals in a broad variety of civil litigation. These include actions in lieu of prerogative writ against government agencies, actions for breach of contract, breach of warranty, franchise agreements, land use and zoning, federal and state sexual discrimination and harassment, rent control, employment, environmental law and foreclosures. She has represented individuals in guardianship proceedings and at domestic violence hearings. In addition, she has successfully represented property owners/landlords on applications for rent increases for capital improvements, including the second largest application in the history of the City of Newark.
Ms. Ward has handled numerous cases venued in the trial and appellate courts of New Jersey, along with the District of New Jersey and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. She has also handled matters in the state and federal courts of New York, including the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
In the past, Ms. Ward has successfully represented the New York City Board of Standards and Appeals, New York City Planning Department, and Landmark Preservation Commission in complex zoning and land use litigation and constitutional issues. She also represented the New York City Police Department, Department of Consumer Affairs, and the Health Department defending challenges to administrative determinations.
Ms. Ward has been appointed a condemnation commissioner in New Jersey and is knowledgeable in the area of eminent domain law. She was a member of the Planning Board of the Village of Ridgewood, New Jersey from 1999 to 2012, and was also a member of the Village of Ridgewood's Historic Preservation Commission between 2001 and October 2006.
Areas of Practice
- Condominium, Cooperative Law, and Common Interest Ownership Law
- General Civil Litigation
- Zoning & Land Use Law
- Eminent Domain
- New Jersey, 1998
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1998
- United States Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2004
- New York, 1978
- US District Court of Eastern District of New York, 1981
- US District Court of Southern District of New York, 1981
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association, Former Member, Condominium Law Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Women Lawyers in Bergen County, Member
- Member of Bergen County District IIB Fee Arbitration Committee (2011-2015); Chair (2014-2015)
- Jaasma v. Shell Oil Company, 412 F3d 501 (3rd Cir. 2005)
- Chinese Staff and Worker's Assn v. City of New York, 67. N.Y. 2d 602 (1986)
- Rutgers Law School – J.D. 1977
- The George Washington University – B.A. 1974
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Rena K. Uviller, J.S.C.,
- Law Clerk, 1979-1982